No Cuts to children’s mental health services (CAMHS)
We ask Lewisham Council to reverse their proposed cuts
Tuesday 6 February 7.30pm
New Cross Learning, 285 New Cross Road, London SE14 6AS
Speakers: Jonathan Ashworh, Shadow Secretary of Stage f parents, patients, clinicians,, local MPs invited
PETITION – PLEASE SIGN AND SHARE
Please sign and share the petition click here
LOBBY OF COUNCIL MEETING ON WEDNESDAY 17 JANUARY AT 6.45PM
Outside Lewisham Town Hall. The main purpose to leaflet the councillors and others going in. They will not be discussing the cut at the meeting but we will get out points across the Councillors and others going into the meeting.
MODEL MOTION FOR USE IN LABOUR PARTY AND TRADE UNIONS
We are appalled at this government’s insistent claims that it is funding the NHS adequately and taking child mental health seriously. Neither is true – in reality there is a double attack on children’s services:
• cutting back on NHS spending each year with so called ‘efficiency saings’
• up to 60% cuts in funding to local authorities, on which mental health services and social
The Government boasts about Future in Mind ‘extra funding’ But this is only for specific purposes. It does not replace the huge cuts already made to core funding of Child & Adolescent
Mental Health (CAMHS) funding.
Government austerity cuts have already forced Lewisham Council to make £153 million budget cuts with more to come. Children’s mental health funding has fallen by close to 10% over two years and now Lewisham Council will be making over £150,000 cuts to this service.
This desperately needed CAMHS service cannot be run properly on so much less money
Patients, parents, CAMHS staff and the Save Lewisham Hospital Campaign do not accept Lewisham Council’s assertion that child mental health needs can be met in other ways.
Lewisham Council needs to speak up and lead the way, fighting for young people and saying what we know to be true: that these cuts will hit vulnerable children and families very severely.
• Up to six staff will lose their jobs – there will be hundreds fewer appointments available
• More referrals will be declined as ‘thresholds’ to access treatment get even higher
• Treatment will be rationed
• Waiting lists – already unacceptably long – will grow longer
• Each job lost is a clinician’s caseload of real children in need untreated
• Young peoples’ problems will reach crisis points without timely appropriate treatment.
• Unwell young people attending A&E in crisis will face longer, distressing waits
• Patients are already being sent to other hospitals, often miles from London.
These mental health cuts affect real children in Lewisham, in real need, left untreated.
Lewisham CAMHS is a well-respected service – skilled clinicians with high morale, chooing to work here, valuing the support they have given to schools, GP surgeries and other local facilities. However, the cuts over the last years have taken their toll – already many of these services are no longer available; it CANNOT get worse.
Lewisham has higher risk factors contributing to poor child mental health than the national average. Referrals to this service, level of need, risk and distress that young people are experiencing are all increasing. Young people are victims of 8 years of austerity from this government.
We have to speak out!
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! PLEASE HELP US:
• Sign our petition and help us share it on social media – petition address
• Join us in lobbying Councillors and Council meetings
• Ask your MP to take up your concerns
• Join the lobby at Kaleidoscope on xxx
• If you are a Labour Party member, please put a motion opposing these cuts and get the Council to take a stand
• Come to our public meeting on Tuesday 6 February at New Cross Learning, 285 New Cross Road, London SE14 6AS (Nearest station New Cross Gate, buses 36, 136, 53, 177, 21)