Learn to speak ‘Special Administrator’ with this handy guide to assist you in the public meetings (download .pdf). Add any other bullshit you hear in the comments section, and we can update the guide accordingly. If you’re feeling reckless, you may cough in a way that sounds like the word ‘bullshit’ each time you hear these phrases.
- “There will be 4 A&E’s in South East London” = The A&E at Queen Elizabeth Hospital will serve 3 boroughs, 750,000 people.
- “Lewisham A&E will be downgraded, not closed” = Lewisham A&E will be closed, what’s left will be an urgent care centre, which cannot admit anyone to hospital. It also means the hospital cannot respond to emergency situations, so critical care units, children’s wards and maternity services become riskier.
- “77% of patients currently at Lewisham could still be seen there.” = There is no space for the other 23% at the other A+Es locally. And some people will arrive at Lewisham who will need to be urgently transferred – this carries risks.
- “This situation cannot continue.” = Now healthcare is run like a market, with health as a commodity, South East London will be the first market failure and Lewisham Hospital will be sold-off. Is that what you want for our health service?
- “We need to be bold”, “Some people always resist change.” = I am relying on clichés to avoid sounding stupid.
- “Productivity needs to increase” = There will be £39 million of staff cuts.
- “If private companies do a better job, then we should use them” = I have spent the last 20 years in a cave, and not noticed the railways, energy prices, water shortages and credit crunch caused by private companies.
- “Sidcup should be taken over by Oxleas” “Kings College Hospital should take over PRUH”= Private companies could be allowed to bid for Sidcup and PRUH too. I’m just hoping Jeremy Hunt doesn’t let them take over.
- “Lewisham will become a centre for planned surgery” – Lewisham will be dependent on nearby hospitals referring patients to them. If the other hospitals don’t do this, what’s left of Lewisham Hospital could end up like Hitchingbrooke, losing millions of pounds a week and facing closure.
- “Maternity may go from Lewisham” = where will 4500 women go every year? They cannot be reasonably “dispersed” to other hospitals. And if obstetric services remain, there is a good chance they will be deemed unsafe because the A&E has closed, and it will be shut when I leave.
- “The PFI debt will be written off by the Department of Health” = Your taxes will still pay £2.5billion for £210 million of hospitals at QEH and PRUH. But it will come from the Department of Health (and not from whoever takes over PRUH).
- “Some of the decisions will be unpopular locally.” – What locals think doesn’t matter to me.
Kershaw’s big secrets – Ask him about these things:
- What will happen to the children’s wards at Lewisham? Page 70 of the report says they will be shut by 2015, Kershaw’s not telling us why. Is it because the A&E will be closing?
- Why did you not suggest renegotiating the PFI debt?
- What will happen to the £17million made from selling Lewisham Hospital? Will it go to the community services or is it being used to pay off debts to banks which he won’t re-negotiate?
- Why has the process not followed the government’s own guidelines for consultations?
- Will your final report reflect a total lack of public support?